900g Maris Piper Potatoes
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
8-12 rashers rindless, dry-cured streaky bacon
25g plain flour, seasoned
2 tbsp sunflower oil
For the onion gravy
25g unsalted butter
2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced
½ tsp sugar
1 tbsp plain flour
600ml home-made or fresh beef stock
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp English mustard
1/2 tsp thyme leaves
How to make calves’ liver and bacon
1. Make the gravy. Melt the butter in a large frying pan, add the onions and sugar and cook over a medium heat, stirring now and then, for 20-30 minutes until very soft and nicely browned.
2. Stir in the flour and cook for a few seconds, then slowly add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, mustard and thyme leaves. Season, then simmer for 20 minutes.
3. Once the potatoes are on, preheat the grill to high. Grill the bacon until crisp and golden, then keep hot. Season the liver on both sides, then lightly coat in the seasoned flour, patting off the excess.
4. Put half the oil in a frying pan over a high heat. Fry half the liver for 30 seconds each side, until browned but pink and juicy in the centre. Lift onto a plate and keep warm. Repeat with the rest of the oil and liver.
5. serve the liver, bacon and gravy alongside some the potatoes and some seasonal vegetablesShare and Enjoy: